"Cuando Puerto Rico comprenda
el valor de su folclor,
luchara' con mucha fuerza
para defender su honor."
-- Don Rafael Cepeda Atiles
Be Part of the Future!!
From humble beginnings in 1997, our goal was to someday become one of the most
respected cultural centers in the world where one could learn about and experience
all of Puerto Rico's cultural traditions.
Today, the Puerto Rican Cultural Center is the
only cultural center in Texas and the Soutwest
affiliated with the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture for
ongoing and authentic cultural programming that could not otherwise be experienced
in this region.
Read about our Mission and History.
In August 2006, we celebrated the
of our cultural center's move from a one-room studio to a multipurpose facility!
Our Photo Album and
Reviews page testify that we are well on our way
to achieving that goal! Enjoy how far we have come!
Accomplishments & Future Goals
- Sept 10, 1997
- PRFDance, Nonprofit Founded
- Jan 1998
- Performing Company Debut (3 Dancers to recorded music!)
- 1st performance with live percussion
- 1st performance with full complement of musicians
- expanded as the 1st Puerto Rican Cultural Center in Austin (DBA)
- began children and teens dance classes
- 1st Music Program to train our future musicians
- 1st Workshop in Puerto Rican Studies to engage the community beyond performing arts.
- added a Youth Choir
- added a Percussion class
- added Professional Music Ensemble Program.
- graduated Children to new Preteen Class
- expansion to include nonperformance classes (like salsa)
- debut first original musical - The Pirates of Puerto Rico
- added Student Music Ensemble
- added an Adult Beginner/intermediate Class
- move from a single-room studio to a mulitpurpose facility (10Yr lease) !!
- started our preschool "Coqui" class
- 1st Family Day featuring sport activity for the whole family (Taino Batu ballgame)
- launched experimental-and-long-awaited Junior Company
- began Taino programming under the wing of El Concilio Taino
- December musical matures and incorporates performances by
entire cultural center, singing, dancing, and acting!
- began experimenting with new programs beyond folklore:
Boricua Jazz, Boricua Aerobics, Salsa Socials.
- December musical matures into annual Fall Community Theatre Program.
- Junior Company matures as regular presenters with our performing company.
- Debut of International Youth Talent Show
- Expanded cultural outreach to near-monthly events!
- Growth in the works!
- Held 1st Trovador Competition in Texas!
- Celebrated 10 years in our cultural center facility!
- Celebrated our 20th anniversary!!
- Launched Comite de Damas dedicated to special projects!
- Launched SOY - Entrepenaurs' Cultural Community Program
In the next several years we will continue
to expand our programming as leaders become available. Programs our community expressed interest in include:
- regular salsa socials
- a cooking class that teaches traditional receipes
- a literature and poetry class
- a social club to enjoy traditional games such as dominos and briscas
- continued expansion of music program
- traditional art and arts-and-crafts (artesania) classes
- spanish (language) classes
- a Puerto Rican history class
- a Puerto Rican museum
- a parent's support group (education and friendship)
- more cultural programs beyond performing arts
Or become a Member of our PRFDance Familia
with your cash or inkind donation!
We hold the banner high for Puerto Rico everyday!
Thank you in advance for your donation of any size!!
For more information:
Dr. Ana María Tekina-eirú Maynard
Puerto Rican Cultural Center
Cultural Center Address: 701 Tillery Street #13, Austin TX 78702-3738 (Map & Directions)
Mailing Address: 15228 Quiet Pond Court, Austin TX 78728-4555
Copyright ©1997-2020 Puerto Rican Folkloric Dance, Inc. All rights